Ross's Ramblings - Movies, TV, Pop Culture, Politics...

A 26 Year Old Music and History Graduate hailing originally from Adelaide and now living in Melbourne Australia. Here I will spill my small thoughts on anything I feel applicable... Beware.

10 January 2006

Twenty20 - Cricket or Something Else...


I'm not sold.

After tonights Innaugural International Twenty20 Match on Australian soil i'm still trying to work out whether i'm interested in the game or not.

To me, part of the beauty of cricket is the fact that it isn't over in 3 hours. You actually have to watch/listen/be interested in a match over a day/5 days. Maybe over time this style of cricket will emerge to have new skills and new tactics. At this stage though, i'm not sure that it is that worth watching as "cricket."

However, there were over 50,000 people at domestic cricket matches over the weekend, and this can only be a good thing. If it brings people into the game, then all for the better.

Then again, AFL is the most watched sport in Australia, and look at how important and vital that is at an international level...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very 1970s of you. If it was up to people like you we wouldnt have ODIs. Its just progress. Dont shoot it down after only watching 1 match in Oz.....

6:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the match, just as i enjoyed the one we played against NZ and England. I wanted to go to the local domestic match but couldn't get down there. I did however listen to it on the radio.

I'm sure things will advance, tactics emerge, and nuances be discovered, just as happened in the 70s with ODIs. I just felt that the speed and intensity of the game led to the shedding of actual cricket skills, some of the things i so like watching.

I enjoy it as a spectacle, and at domestic level, but wouldn't like to see it overhaul the existing forms too much.

7:35 pm  
Blogger James said...

I don't know from Cricket, but just wanted to say -- cool you dig Schwantner, man! I love Sparrows -- still gives me chills.

Later

3:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home