Ross's Ramblings - Movies, TV, Pop Culture, Politics...

A 26 Year Old Music and History Graduate hailing originally from Adelaide and now living in Melbourne Australia. Here I will spill my small thoughts on anything I feel applicable... Beware.

12 December 2005

Sick to my stomach


I never really wanted to use this blog to get political or make social commentary. There's many others out there to do this. I wanted to use it more to talk about things that inspire me.

But this needs comment. The violence that erupted in Sydney yesterday has stuck me in unimaginable ways. Is this the country i have lived in for 26 years? Violence. Fear. Racism. Intolerance. When did these become the way that people describe the relationships between Australians?

A lot of things are going to be said around our country over the next few weeks about these disgusting events. It's natural. We want to blame someone. We certainly don't want to blame ourselves. It's certainly not my fault.

And yet passing the buck and throwing around blame doesn't achieve anything. We need to understand the way this happened. These Australians, and they all are, are angry and afraid. Why? They have reacted with the only thing that society is leaving available. Violence.

Fixing this is not easy. How do we bring people together instead of splitting them apart.

Maybe reminding them that Iran has decided that the way to fix the Israel-Palestine conflict is to launch nukes at them. Maybe it's time we all started thinking about the things we have in common and not the things that tear us apart. It's got to be a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home